My hobbyist coding updates and releases as the mysterious "Mr. Tines"

Monday 28 April 2003

Geocities site cleanup

With a little bit of JavaScript tinkering, I've managed to get applets to work for NN7 and 4.5 as well as IE6. Intermediate NN versions and some earlier IE versions may work; the two families require completely different sets of attributes on an <object> tag - what works on IE drops through to the included text on NN, and what works on NN leaves an applet sized blank in the IE rendering.

I've also adjusted the other bits of script in an attempt to get closer to XHTML1.0 strict validation - but since the redirection service for pointing ravnaandtines.com at the GeoCities URL uses frames, I'm stuck with the non-compliant target=_top" attribute on links. That being the case, I'm not going to roll out the last little tweaks until I've got more content to upload - just on an as-updated basis. The Yahoo-supplied script addenda, with their preceding set of "close everything" tags will still make a page invalid according to the validator at validator.w3.org, so there's another limit to how much I can achieve.

Oh, and while I was at it, I nuked all the gifs, apart from the one animated logo on this page, in favour of pngs.

No comments: